10.04.2012

D.O. Schools

As promised, a little information on DO schools. I think it is important for anyone who is going in to medicine to know all of their options and then make their decision based on what kind of medicine fits them best. For a long time DO schools have been considered "back up" schools to MD schools, and that is still somewhat true. For D and I, it was a back up option before we learned more about the programs and what it means to practice holistic medicine. I don't know what route we will go until we hear from schools but I like knowing our options so we can make the very best decision for our family.

When D and I first started looking at what school to apply to, I didn't even know what DO stood for. But today, over 20% of medical students in the US are training to be osteopathic physicians. I have a few friends in DO school currently and for D and I it is a really great option. I'm excited to get to talk about this a little because many times people tie smoke and herbs and stones and voodoo medicine to DO's and that is not the truth!

First off, DO stands for Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. Osteopathic medicine provides all of the benefits of modern medicine including prescription drugs, surgery, and the use of technology to diagnose disease and evaluate injury. DO's use a holistic approach to medicine rather than basing treatment on symptoms. 

Here is what a good friend of mine that is attending A.T. Stills in Missouri [in his 2nd year] has to say about his experience and thoughts on being a DO:
"My opinion is that the only reason to be nervous about going the DO route is if you feel like you need clout and prestige. Can you find more MDs who are geniuses on the breaking edge of medicine? Probably. Can you expect better treatment from an MD as opposed to a DO? I don't think so, and I've seen studies to back that up. Many of my classmates got accepted to both MD and DO schools and chose to come here. The curriculum is almost identical. Many DOs take the same boards as MDs and do comparably well. DOs have an 80% pass rate and MDs have a 90% pass rate. It is better for MDs, but it is not a complete contrast of excellence and ineptitude. I know several DOs in my ward who are in competitive residencies like dermatology, ENT, and anesthesiology. Just like anywhere, we have good professors and bad, but mostly they are excellent and dedicated. If someone has insecurities about being a DO instead of an MD, they probably should not do it. If they wants to be a good doctor with the chance at a competitive residency, either path will get him there." 

There are Osteopathic schools all over the country, as seen on the map below:

There is a TON of information out there about the Osteopathic route. I would encourage anyone applying for med school to look in to it thoroughly before selecting their schools! Talk to doctors that are both DOs and MDs, and get to know students that are going both routes. That has been the most helpful thing for D and I during this crazy journey!






Links:
AACOM
Map 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Notes: