10.25.2012

Book Review

Today, just two books for you! Both of which involve the medical field but in a way a Humanities student can eat up.

First, a book I read at the recommendation of my other-in-law. Mark Salzman, made famous by The Soloist, also wrote Lying Awake. Lying Awake is a gorgeous book about Sister John's experience with disease, visions and faith. Sister John experiences visions of the divine that are accompanied by terrible headaches, leading her to seek medical advice. The doctor concludes that the visions may be responsible for her visions, leaving Sister John to make a heart wrenching decision. Salzman words are gorgeous and thought provoking, making Lying Awake a personal favorite. 


I would rate this novel Family Friendly.


My second pick for today was the assigned book for all incoming Freshman at Utah State my year. 

Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawand, is a medical book but a definite page turner. I tend to hate science and can't stomach blood but this book was amazing! Gawande gives a candid account of his own medical cases while exploring the limits of medicine. Offering a view straight from the surgeon, Gawande creates an intriguing look into medicine. Danny also loved this book and I would recommend it for everyone but especially as a gift for your pre-med school goers.  


I would also rate this book Family Friendly.

What are you reading?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Notes: